3.24.2012

Skeleton Picture

Balancing two kids two and under can get a little hairy at times, yesterday was one of those times...

To take a shower I bring Celine in the bathroom on the same floor as our living room and set Reece up with breakfast and a show. I was in the process of getting ready to shower, Reece was all set up and I was setting Celine in her bouncer as I heard Reece scream.

I set Celine down as quick possible and ran towards the living room, I saw Reece face down my heart panicked. Reece had also taken all of our dining room chairs and lined them up between himself and I, I took one big leap over the chairs and as my foot hit the ground I heard a loud pop and immediately fell to the ground. There I was on the ground between the two babes, I knew immediately I had broken my foot.

Reece popped up and told me he was crying because his fort had fallen over, phew at least he was ok. Now what? I tried to stand up and was unable to bear any weight on my foot so I crawled over to my phone and dialed my step mothers mobile, fortunately my Dad and her live close and she is usually easy to reach. I think I was in shock because I greeted her like normal, hi how's your day going, then I calmly told her I think I had broken my foot would she mind coming over? She jumped in her car and headed right over.

I crawled over to Celine and started nursing her, this would buy me three hours to tide her over. My step mother arrived, she tried to talk me into letting her drive me to the ER but I refused, her managing a three month old, two and a half year old and my six year old brother in the ER sounded much worse to me then driving myself. I limped out to the car and drove myself to Swedish with my left foot.

I already knew Craig was in the middle of a meeting and I would not be able to reach him, but I called and left him a message. I pulled into the emergency area and there was no where to park, I guess people typically don't drive themselves to the emergency room? I pulled around to the valet parking and limped out towards the attendant he grabbed me a wheelchair and I wheeled myself over to the ER with my breast pump on my back.

They checked me in and without X-rays told me just from looking at it, the were assuming the same as me. After the X-ray tech took the first picture he told me not to quote him but it was broken, right in half.

I broke my 5th metatarsals (bone between your pinky toe and ankle) completely in half and there are some shattered pieces as well. Great....

Not sure why but when situations like this happen I am able to handle them with resilience. Sure it is going to be hard, it already is but really things can always be worse. When I was 23 I had a pretty serious health scare (different post) and I always go back to this time or when my Mom was fighting for her life against cancer as my calibrator.

At the end of the day this will just be a blip, we will get through it. Also how can you not laugh a little about it, I broke my foot jumping over my sons fort. Seriously as painful as the throbs are that is funny.

I go to the podiatrist and orthopedic surgeon this week to see what the plan is. 90% I will have to have surgery. I am holding out for the 10% chance I don't and will be loading up on calcium, fish, orange juice and broccoli to help promote healing.

Reece thinks my X-rays are cool skeleton pictures.

9 comments:

  1. Oh no Carrie! Im so sorry! U r one tough cookie! Ouchy. Xoxo suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side, your toes look super pretty. Good luck...hoping for no surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I painted them myself this morning. I thought of you and Kyle last night. Reece hates getting his haircut, we used your sweatshirt straight jacket trick to give him a trim. Worked like a charm, hopefully he won't be scared from our Houdini cuts.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Just read this to Kyle and we both got a good laugh. Good thinking...Eli's not a huge fan of haircuts either. Might have to try that...as if the kid hasn't been tortured enough! ;)

      Delete
  3. OMG SO sorry Carrie! If it gives you some hope, I broke my leg and they told me in the ER - surgery for sure, and when I met with the ortho (who was pretty old school) he gave me a million pain killers and a cast and said it will heal fine on it's own and it did! It was like 10 years ago and I have had no problems with it at all since it healed! I pray for the same for you!! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am hoping for, I have been researching a ton online too. Thank you for the prayers, things will probably get a little wild but we will figure it out.

      Delete
  4. Wow Carrie, so sorry to hear that. You have tremendous perspective. Take care girlfriend! I agree on the pretty toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGHHHH! No. That sounds so painful and I love that you took your pump with you to the ER.

    Oh CARRIE! I'm sorry. That just blows...

    ReplyDelete